Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Little Moral Gem

 Across a busy road from our apartment complex is the Four Seasons Hotel on the left:

And the Hilton Hotel on the right:

Between them is a lovely pedestrian lane that I often use to get to Orchard Road:

Just as I come off that lane, I find the Hard Rock Cafe on my left:

But nestled in the shadow of the hotels and just before the "after dark" den of rock 'n roll is this traditional, colonial style building:
(it is so hidden, I couldn't get a good photo)
But here is the sign in front:

I just googled it and found out that in the 1970's in Malaysia, some people thought the society was too full of greed, corruption, bad manners, rebellious youth, etc, and it was time to get back to the basics of good morals!  So they started this society and it has grown. From what I understand, there is a huge complex in Malaysia, and there must be several groups (I found the Chang Kong Kok website). They have 10 principals and guidelines to live by, taken from traditional Taoism, Confusionism and Buddhism. (Kind of like how Unitarians have come from different sects of Christianity.)  Last week the lawn out front of the building had a huge tent and hundreds of families in yellow polo shirts sporting their particular sect's logo (they lined up at Hard Rock to board their buses home) 

It so fascinating to find these little gems in the midst of the glamour and glitz of Singapore 2012.

So here's to uplifting morals!!

NEXT UP:  Orchard Road decorates for Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment