Saturday, September 15, 2012

Mid-Autumn Festival

On my latest visit to Chinatown, I found the street filled with paper lanterns, ready to celebrate the Mid-autumn festival - even though there really is no autumn here at all.  I watched a street crew hanging strings of lanterns and was happily surprised that they used safety equipment for their work:





As I walked Bridge Street I saw even more colorful sites amid the tourist stalls, restaurants, and temples:




And I am so glad you don't have to endure the smell of the durian stand... it permeates the air like rotting  flesh...it is an acquired taste, they say.  I'll never know.
My day in Chinatown ended by my getting on a bus,thinking it would take me home.  I took a nice hour-long tour, and, having misread the schedule,  ended up right back where I started from.  Oh well.  I'm a tourist at heart.

1 comment:

  1. How gorgeous are those lanterns!! And riding the bus in a circle -- too funny :) At least you weren't late for an appointment!

    ReplyDelete